When to Seek Fertility Specialist’s Opinion?


After one year of unprotected intercourse (having sex without condoms, etc), if one does not conceive, it is advisable to take Specialist/Expert opinion to find out the reasons for the delay in conceiving. If the woman is more than 35 years of age, she should get Specialist opinion after 6 months.

Under the following conditions, it is advisable to take a Specialist Opinion as soon as possible:

  • Female partner over age 35
  • Irregular or absent periods
  • Two or more miscarriages
  • Prior use of an intrauterine device (IUD)
  • Prostate infections
  • A history of sexually transmitted disease in either partner
  • A history of pelvic/genital infection in either partner
  • Previous abdominal surgery in either partner
  • Reversal of surgical sterilization in either partner
  • Endometriosis/painful menstruation
  • Breast discharge
  • Excessive acne or hirsutism (body hair) in female
  • Prior use of the contraceptive Depo Provera and no subsequent menstruation Chronic medical condition in either partner (e.g. diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity etc.)
  • History of chemotherapy or radiation therapy in either partner.

One need not get alarmed on reading the above points. Many times, couples are not aware as to when to be together (have sex) to get pregnant. Simple counseling has helped many couples to become pregnant naturally after consulting Dr Gunjan Jain.

Before discussing the problems of childlessness, any married couple should understand how a woman gets pregnant naturally, in order for them to analyze the hurdles in their specific case.

Translate »